Swabs from a 22-year-old woman who died last week tested positive for Ebola, Sierra Leone authorities said Friday. The case came a day after the World Health Organization declared the outbreak over in West Africa.
The young student was not properly buried by a burial team, the Director of Disease, Control and Prevention in the Ministry of Health and Sanitation, Dr. Foday Dafae, said Monday.
At least 28 high risk contacts have been placed under quarantine, and the remaining 109 contacts are being assessed, he said.
The young woman sought outpatient medical attention in the Northern Tonkolili District on Jan. 6 and died Jan. 12, he said. She also consulted an herbalist, he said.
Government Chief Medical Officer Dr. Brima Kargbo said “the patient (victim) went to the hospital with no visible signs of Ebola,” she had no fever or redness of the eyes, and only some signs of dizziness.
Sierra Leone Times, Tuesday 19th January, 2016